Miami Bathroom Remodeling: Choosing The Best Contractor
Choosing the best contractor for your bathroom remodeling project is the most important decision you’ll make in the entire process. After all, the right contractor can mean the difference between getting your dream bathroom and throwing away money on a lot of unnecessary mistakes. Miami Bathroom Remodeling suggests these tips for helping you choose the best contractor for your project:
- Ask for word of mouth referrals from your family, neighbors, friends, work colleagues or anyone else you think might help point you in the right direction. Your goal is to find the qualified professional who will be the best partner for the job. Ask your friends what made it a positive experience and whether they would use the same person again for another project.
- Don’t be afraid to ask for credentials during your preliminary research. Look at the contractor’s website or check with professional associations like the National Kitchen & Bath Association or the National Association of the Remodeling Industry. See which of your potential contractors is up to date on their licenses and certifications. You may also want to check with your city’s Codes & Administration Department about their experiences with each person or company on your initial list.
- After narrowing down the list to the three strongest candidates , schedule appointments with each one individually. To keep it fair, provide the same information to each contractor and see where it goes from there. Have your list of questions ready in advance that will help you better understand their remodeling experience, their specialties, their suggestions for the project, their time line, etc. Make sure you see their proof of insurance before any work begins.
- Checking references should be standard procedure for all the final candidates. Again, specific questions are a must if you want to find out usable information instead of the standard “Oh, yeah, we like our bathroom.” Ask them if they completed the project on time and on budget. Ask them how the company dealt with unforeseen problems and requested changes. Ask if the contractor contributed any ideas or money-saving suggestions for the project. And, once again, ask them if they would hire the same company again for their next project.
- Get each contractors’ bid in writing. That means get everything in writing! This document should at least include the specific scope of the project, specific materials, the time line and sequence of events, their warranty, the site plan, a provision and clause for making changes, the final bid and payment schedule. Feel free to add anything else to this list that will help your project go smoothly and facilitate good communication.
Two-way communication is essential from all parties involved in the project. During your bathroom remodeling project, you’re sure to encounter a few problems and questions. Make sure everyone communicates regularly with respect and with professionalism.
Filed under: Bathroom Remodeling & Decor
Like this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!